In this guide, we will show you how to install Geeqie on Ubuntu systems.
Geeqie is a free software image viewer and image organiser program for Unix-like operating systems, which includes Linux-based systems and Apple’s OS X. It was first released in March 2010, having been created as a fork of GQview, which appeared to have ceased development. It uses the GTK toolkit. In September 2015, development was moved from SourceForge to GitHub.
Install Geeqie on Ubuntu-APT method
Follow the steps below to get started with Geeqie :
- Update your Ubuntu system packages with running the below command:
sudo apt update -y && sudo apt upgrade -y
- Geeqie package is not available on Ubuntu base repository. So You can install it directly as follows:
sudo apt install geeqie -y
Install Geeqie-Flatpak method
NOTE: Also you can install Geeqie with Flatpak
Flatpak, formerly known as xdg-app, is a utility for software deployment and package management for Linux. It is advertised as offering a sandbox environment in which users can run application software in isolation from the rest of the system.
- So install the Flatpak manager with running the following command:
sudo apt install flatpak -y
- Enable Flatpak using the following command
sudo flatpak remote-add --if-not-exists flathub https://flathub.org/repo/flathub.flatpakrepo
- Install Geeqie using the following flatpak command.
flatpak install flathub org.geeqie.Geeqie -y
- You can search on the system search bar by typing Geeqie as follows
- Alternatively, Flatpak users will need to launch using the command below:
flatpak run org.geeqie.Geeqie
- Geeqie will be launched as shown below
So now start to access any of your images with Geeqie.. Enjoy!!
How to Remove (Uninstall) Geeqie
- Remove Geeqie APT Method
sudo apt autoremove geeqie --purge -y
- Remove Geeqie with Flatpak Remove Method:
flatpak uninstall --delete-data org.geeqie.Geeqie flatpak remove --unused
Install Geeqie -Conclusion