This tutorial we will show you how to install Anaconda Python Distribution on Ubuntu 22.04.
Anaconda is a distribution of the Python and R programming languages for scientific computing (data science, machine learning applications, large-scale data processing, predictive analytics, etc.), that aims to simplify package management and deployment. The distribution includes data-science packages suitable for Windows, Linux, and macOS. It is developed and maintained by Anaconda, Inc.,
As an Anaconda, Inc. product, it is also known as Anaconda Distribution or Anaconda Individual Edition, while other products from the company are Anaconda Team Edition and Anaconda Enterprise Edition, both of which are not free.
Package versions in Anaconda are managed by the package management system conda. This package manager was spun out as a separate open-source package as it ended up being useful on its own and for things other than Python.
There is also a small, bootstrap version of Anaconda called Miniconda, which includes only conda, Python, the packages they depend on, and a small number of other packages.
Installation of Anaconda on Ubuntu 22.04
Just follow the steps below to download and install Anaconda
- Visit the Anaconda Downloads page and check if there is a new version of Anaconda for Python 3 available for download.
Note: At the time of writing this article, the latest stable version of Anaconda is version 2020.05
- Install some libraries and packages If you are installing Anaconda on a desktop machine and you want to use the GUI application which is Anaconda Navigator GUI.
sudo apt install libgl1-mesa-glx libxss1 libxcursor1 libxi6 libxtst6 libegl1-mesa libxcomposite1 libasound2 libxrandr2 libxrandr2 -y
- Download Anaconda installation script
wget -P /tmp https://repo.anaconda.com/archive/Anaconda3-2020.05-Linux-x86_64.sh
- Verify the data integrity of the script by using the sha256sum command to display the script checksum as follows
- Make sure the hash printed from the command above matches the one available at the Anaconda with Python 3 on 64-bit Linux page for your Anaconda version.
- Run the script to start the installation:
Then Press ENTER to continue.
- You’ll be asked to approve the license terms so type yes as follows:
- Also Press Enter to accept on the installation location:
- Once the installation completed, the script will ask you whether you want to run conda init.
So type yes.
- Activate the Anaconda installation by loading the new PATH environment variable into the current shell session as follows:
- If you installed Anaconda on a Desktop system, open the Navigator GUI by entering anaconda-navigator as shown above.
Anaconda Navigator will be launched as shown below in the screenshot.
- Also to update Anaconda, just run the following command:
conda update --all
We’ve illustrated you how to install Anaconda on Ubuntu 22.04.
Also read: How to Install Anaconda on Fedora 36
How to Install Anaconda on CentOS systems.