stratis : is a new technology started in redhat enterprise linux ( RHEL 8 ) used as a local storage-management solution for Linux. It is focused on simplicity and ease of use, and gives you access to advanced storage features.
The central concept of Stratis:
is a storage pool. This pool is created from one or more local disks or partitions, and volumes are created from the pool.
Stratis components :
- Block devices : such as a disk or a disk partition.
- pools : Composed of one or more block devices.
- filesystem : pool can contain one or more file systems, which store files.
What is pools features?
- File system snapshots
- Thin provisioning
Supported block devices in stratis :
- LUKS : Linux Unified Key Setup
- LVM logical volumes : provides logical volume management for the Linux kernel
- iSCSI : you can check it here
- HDDs and SSDs
- NVMe devices : the newest type of hard disks it characterized by high speed in reading and writing .
How to install stratis on RedHat ?
- open your terminal and write the command to install the two packages
sudo yum install stratisd stratis-cli -y
- Then you need to enable the daemon of stratis stratisd
systemctl enable stratisd
- And start the daemon
systemctl start stratisd
- At the end you need check the status of the service before starting
systemctl status stratisd
How to use stratis and manage local storage ?
- I will create pool with 2 disks inside it .. each disk have capacity 20 GB (not static )
stratis pool create unixcop-pool /dev/sdb /dev/sdc
- If you need to check for any configured stratis pool .. write this command
stratis pool list
- To add new disk on the pool write the following command
stratis pool add-data unixcop-pool /dev/sdd
- Then you need to create filesystems on the pool to store file on it .. follow the next command to create it.
stratis filesystem create unixcop-pool unixcop-filesystem1
stratis filesystem create unixcop-pool unixcop-filesystem2
- Now you need to test it .. follow the next steps
- I will make 2 directories
- Then mount the filesystems
mkdir /unix /cop
mount /stratis/unixcop-pool/unixcop-filesystem1 /unix
mount /stratis/unixcop-pool/unixcop-filesystem2 /cop
How to remove filesystem or pool ?
- To remove the filesystem from the pool .. write the following command
stratis filesystem destroy unixcop-pool unixcop-filesystem1
- To remove pool you must remove filesystems first , then remove the pool
stratis pool destroy unixcop-pool
The article clarify the new technology of storage management technique , just you need to follow the steps to configure and manage stratis local storage pools.
for more information about stratis use the command : man stratis