In this guide, we will show you how to install Ristretto on Ubuntu systems.
The Ristretto Image Viewer is an application that can be used to view, and scroll through images. It can be used to run a slideshow of images, open images with other applications like an image-editor or configure an image as the desktop wallpaper.
The image types supported by Ristretto are those supported by the gdk-pixbuf library. This library itself supports a number of basic image types (JPEG, PNG, TIFF, etc.), but then relies on optional libraries to extend the range of supported image types. This means that you will have to install these libraries yourself to extend the range of image types supported by Ristretto. Examples: libwmf, libopenraw, libavif, libheif, libjxl, librsvg, webp-pixbuf-loader.
Install Ristretto on Ubuntu-APT method
Follow the steps below to get started with Ristretto :
- Update your Ubuntu system packages with running the below command:
sudo apt update -y && sudo apt upgrade -y
- So, Ristretto package is available on Ubuntu base repository. So You can install it directly as follows:
sudo apt install ristretto -y
- Then, you can access Ristretto via CLI as follows:
- You can search on the system search bar by typing Ristretto as follows
- So, Ristretto will be launched as shown below
How to Remove (Uninstall) Ristretto
- Finally, Remove Ristretto APT Method
sudo apt autoremove ristretto --purge -y
Install Ristretto -Conclusion