In this tutorial, we will show you how to install Snapcraft and snap-store on Rocky Linux 8.
Snap is a software packaging and deployment system developed by Canonical for operating systems that use the Linux kernel. The packages, called snaps, and the tool for using them, snapd, work across a range of Linux distributions and allow upstream software developers to distribute their applications directly to users.
Snaps are self-contained applications running in a sandbox with mediated access to the host system.They are containerized software packages that are simple to create and install. They auto-update and are safe to run.
Snaps applications packaged with all their dependencies to run on all popular Linux distributions from a single build. They update automatically and roll back gracefully.
- Snaps are discoverable and installable from the Snap Store, an app store with an audience of million.
Install Snap on Rocky Linux 8
Follow the steps below to get started with installing snap manager
Make sure that your system packages are updated to the latest version by running the command below.
sudo dnf check-update && sudo dnf update -y && sudo dnf upgrade -y
- Next Install Epel release as follows:
sudo dnf install epel-release
- Snap is available on Rocky Linux 8 base repository, so you can install it by running the following command:
sudo dnf install snapd
- Once the installed, start the snapd daemon as shown below
sudo systemctl enable --now snapd.socket sudo systemctl start --now snapd.socket sudo systemctl status snapd.socket
- Also you can enable the classic snap support by creating a symbolic link between /var/lib/snapd/snap and /snap, just run the below command:
sudo ln -s /var/lib/snapd/snap /snap
- Also you can install Snap store GUI:
sudo snap install snap-store
- You can access it by searching on as follows:
- Snap store will be launched as shown:
- Verify snapd by checking the version of Snap as shown below
Use Snap on Rocky Linux 8
- Run snap command to get information about Snap, usage, and used commands (help)
snap OR snap --help
- List all Snap packages available on the Snap repository:
- Install a specific package, for example downloading telegram application as shown below, just run:
snap install telegram-desktop
In this guide, we illustrated how to install snapcraft on Rocky Linux Systems.
I hope this article was useful.