In this guide, we will show you how to install Mattermost Desktop on CentOS/AlmaLinux and RockyLinux systems.
Mattermost is an open-source, self-hostable online chat service with file sharing, search, and integrations. It is designed as an internal chat for organisations and companies, and mostly markets itself as an open-source alternative to Slack and Microsoft Teams.
Install Mattermost desktop on Ubuntu- Snap method
Follow the steps below to get started with Mattermost:
- Update your Ubuntu system packages with running the below command:
sudo apt update -y && sudo apt upgrade -y
- you can install Mattermost with snapd manager:
Snap is a software packaging and deployment system developed by Canonical for operating systems that use the Linux kernel. The packages, called snaps, and the tool for using them, snapd, work across a range of Linux distributions and allow upstream software developers to distribute their applications directly to users. Snaps are self-contained applications running in a sandbox with mediated access to the host system.
So, Snaps are applications packaged with all their dependencies to run on all popular Linux distributions from a single build. They update automatically and roll back gracefully.
- Snaps are discoverable and installable from the Snap Store, an app store with an audience of millions, So install snap then install Mattermost via snap manager as shown below
sudo yum install epel-release -y sudo yum install snapd -y sudo ln -s /var/lib/snapd/snap /snap sudo systemctl enable --now snapd sudo snap install core sudo snap install mattermost-desktop
- You can search on the system search bar by typing Mattermost as follows
- Users will need to launch MatterMost using the command Line as follow:
- Alternatively snap users can open it with
sudo snap run mattermost-desktop
- Mattermost will be launched as shown below
- Click on Get started button
- You will then be required to log in to your Mattermost server by providing the URL such as https://mattermost.unixcop.com as shown above then you should to login after that.
How to Remove (Uninstall) Mattermost
- Remove Mattermost with Snap Remove Method:
sudo snap remove --purge mattermost-desktop
Install Mattermost desktop -Conclusion