In this guide, we will show you how to fix the problem of ubuntu/mint no sound after the installation with some methods.
Hi guys, We will talk about one of the most common problems you may faced in your Ubuntu system which is that there is no sound after installing the Ubuntu system.
First, you have to check the audio related hardware information to start fixing the sound issue.
You can achieve that by the steps below:
- Install inxi tool
sudo apt install inxi
- Then check the audio information with running the following command:
From above screenshot, check audio section, it tells you info about the device and the sound is served with Alsa.
Fix output in sound settings
- Go to sound settings
- If you find you have practically nothing in the sound settings except a dummy output. It means that your sound card is not even recognized.
- So run this command to fix the problem:
sudo alsa force-reload reboot
- The output should be like that, that the output device will be recognized.
Fix no sound in Ubuntu
- If the above solution did not fix the problem, try reinstall Alsa and Pulse audio
apt-get install --reinstall alsa-base pulseaudio
- Force reload Alsa
sudo alsa force-reload
- Restart and check the sound again.
- Also, try starting Pulseaudio
- Try remove old Pulseaudio config
- Rename the directory named pulse here
mv ~/.config/pulse ~/.config/old_pulse
- Reboot the system
Fix no sound in Ubuntu with alsamixer
- Open alsamixer
You will see a screen like this
Check if the speakers or the master audio output is muted .
MM means mute .
OO means unmute.
Exit the screen using Esc key.
If you have more than one sound card. you need to specify the sound card number, so refer to the inxi output as follows
alsamixer -c 1
Finally, you can try to fix the issue with no audio in ubuntu with Speed dispatcher
- Speed dispatcher allows your system to convert text to speech. Sometimes, it may bring your audio back with editing speech-dispatcher file by using the following command:
sudo gedit /etc/default/speech-dispatcher
Then change RUN=yes to RUN=no.
In this guide, we illustrated how to fix No Sound in Ubuntu And Linux Mint.
I have tried all your suggestions, and many more on the Mint forum, but I cannot get sound on speakers or headphone.
Here are my Asus Eee PC 1001PXD driver details:
Device-1: Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio vendor: ASUSTeK Eee PC 1015PX
Driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:1b.0 chip ID: 8086:27d8
Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.4.0-121-generic. Can you suggest anything that might work?
Thanks and best regards,